The City of Vista’s goal is to provide the best well-maintained streets for motorists. Both the Public Works and Engineering departments closely monitor the conditions of the streets and collaborate on annual road and traffic improvement program.
Safe Routes To School Projects
- Maryland Elementary Sidewalk Improvements: Construct sidewalk on North Avenue, W. Los Angeles Drive and East Drive. Extends sidewalks along North Drive from N. Melrose Avenue to El Pico Court; W. Los Angeles Drive between North Drive and W. California Avenue; and East Drive between North Drive and Cajon Circle. Driver speed feedback signs will be installed on North Drive to keep motorists aware of the posted speed limit. A construction contract was awarded by the City Council in November, 2016. Work started in February, 2017 and is scheduled for completion in August, 2017.
Roadway Safety Project
- E. Vista Way Raised Medians: Install raised, landscaped medians on E. Vista Way between Fire Station #6 and Williamston Street. The project is intended to improve safety and traffic flow for motorists without widening the road. Design is proceeding. Construction is expected to begin in 2017.
Traffic Management Projects & Signal Modifications
- South of Hwy 78: Upgrade Signals & Interconnect
- Vista Village Drive @ N. Santa Fe Avenue: add a third through westbound lane; install an eastbound right turn overlap; install programmed visibility signal indications for northbound traffic.
- N. Melrose Drive @ W. Vista Way: add a third southbound through lane between Ascot and W. Vista Way; widen the east side to accommodate a future third lane
- Bobier Drive & Anza Avenue: Traffic Signal installation - completion spring 2017.
- Civic Center Drive @ Phillips Street: Widen southbound Civic Center Drive between the railroad tracks and Phillips Street to add a third southbound through-lane to accommodate vehicles moving into the right-turn lane to westbound Hwy 78. Construction is substantially complete.
Citywide Biennial Street Reconstruction and Overlay (CIP 8225)
This project is currently in the design phase. The construction contract is scheduled for City Council award in May, 2017.
Citywide Biennial Slurry Seal (CIP 8262)
This project is currently in the design phase. The citywide slurry seal project will begin in summer, 2018.