The chartered City of Vista is governed by a five-member City Council composed of the Mayor (elected at large) and four Council Members elected by district. The City Clerk is the election official and is responsible for the conduct of its municipal elections, as well as facilitating candidate filing procedures and assisting candidates in meeting their legal responsibilities during an election. Elections are held in even numbered years.
For information, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 760.643.5320, Mon-Thurs, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; alternate Fridays 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Local Initiative (petition)
An initiative entitled "Medical Cannabis Business Initiative of 2017" has been submitted to the City of Vista and is currently being circulated by the proponent. It would allow marijuana dispensaries in the City, something which is currently prohibited. Pursuant to California Elections Code Section 9203(a), the City Attorney has prepared an Initiative Title and Initiative Summary. To view the full text of the initiative, please click here.
A second initiative was filed on August 1, 2017 entitled "Cannabis Activity Zoning Ordinance of Vista". It would allow marijuana businesses in the City, something which is currently prohibited. Pursuant to California Elections Code Section
9203(a), the City Attorney has prepared an Initiative Title and Initiative Summary. To view the full text of the initiative, please click here.
- Register to Vote: http://registertovote.ca.gov/
- Check your Registration: http://www2.sdcounty.ca.gov/rov/Eng/Voters.asp
- Find your polling place: http://www2.sdcounty.ca.gov/rov/Eng/Polling.asp
- View your Sample Ballot: http://www2.sdcounty.ca.gov/rov/Eng/ballot.asp
- FAQ’s: http://www.sdvote.com/content/dam/rov/en/election/16Nov/FAQ%2011-2016%20-%20FINAL.pdf
- Polls and Officer Listing: http://www.sdvote.com/content/dam/rov/en/election/1108_E_polls_officer_list.pdf
- Measure Text: http://www.sdvote.com/content/dam/rov/en/election/E110816_local_props_labels.pdf
Voter Registration Information
Residents may register to vote at any time. If a qualified voter is not registered to vote and wants to vote in a particular election, the qualified voter must register at least 15 days before that election.
- Voter registration requirements: U.S. Citizen and 18 years of age on or before election day.
- Voter registration forms are available online at the San Diego Registrar of Voters website. Citizens can fill in the registration form on-line, print and sign, and mail to the Registrar of Voters.
- Voter registration forms are also available at the City Clerk’s Office, U.S. Post Offices, public libraries, the Department of Motor Vehicles, and other public buildings.
If you have questions about voting, please contact the San Diego County Registrar of Voters at 800.696.0136 or online at sdvote.com. Absentee ballots may be obtained from the San Diego County Registrar of Voters.