Law enforcement is provided by the San Diego County Sheriff's Department who is under contract with the City. The Vista Sheriff's Department provides a full range of services from a station, substation and a storefront office within the city. These services include, general patrol, investigations, narcotics and gang investigations, crime prevention, juvenile intervention, community policing and administrative services. Other specialized functions are available to the city through the Sheriff's Department. Some of the specialty investigative areas include, homicide investigations, helicopter patrols, swat teams, bomb and arson investigations, fraud and forgery investigations and licensing investigation.
- Megan's Law Website - State of California Department of Justice
- Open Cases Page. Please take a look to see if you have information that might help investigators.
- Tip form page: You may leave an anonymous tip concerning any form of illegal activity by using the tip form.
- Teen Drinking & Driving ... You Drink. You Drive. You're Done! educational campaign.
Patrol Deputies who respond to calls for service 24 hours a day. The Patrol Division is responsible for all general law enforcement calls for service within the City of Vista and the surrounding unincorporated area. Each patrol deputy is assigned to a geographical "beat" area. This enables the deputies to become familiar with the residents of their "beat" and with the problems in the area. The "beat” system is a cornerstone of the Community Oriented Policing concept requiring the interaction of neighborhood residents with law enforcement.
Neighborhood Watch programs are administered through the Crime Prevention Division. Please call (760) 940-4564.
Crime Free Multifamily Housing Certification Program
The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department has been offering the Crime Free Multifamily Housing Certification program since 1995. This free program is designed to reduce crime, drugs, and gangs in multifamily developments. Anticipated benefits of the program include a more stable and satisfied tenant base; lower maintenance and repair costs; and improved personal safety for tenants, landlords, and managers.
There are four main components to the program:
- An eight-hour training for property owners, managers, and other staff.
- The use of a Crime Free Lease Addendum.
- An inspection of the property to identify safety improvements that may need to be made.
- A meeting for the tenants to provide information on general safety, crime prevention, and the Crime Free Multifamily Housing Program.
Voluntary Program for Crime Free Certification
A recent review of multihousing developments that have enrolled in the voluntary Crime Free certification showed an average 49% reduction in calls for service. Multifamily housing developments are encouraged to participate voluntarily in the Crime Free Multifamily Housing Certification Program and can do so by contacting the Vista Sheriff’s Department at 760.940.4352 or 760.940.4353.
Mandatory Crime Free Multifamily Housing Program
The City of Vista added a Crime Free Multifamily Housing Program to the Vista Municipal Code (Chapter 9.40), which went into effect in October 2016. Under the municipal code, when a multifamily development has high levels of service calls to the Sheriff over a prolonged time, the development could be required to participate in the City’s Crime Free Multifamily Housing Program. There is an annual fee for the mandatory program that is based on the size of the complex. A multifamily development will be released from the program after it receives a Crime Free Multifamily Housing Certification, takes certain actions designed to reduce service calls, and operates without excess law enforcement calls for a period of 48 consecutive months.
Senior Volunteer Sheriff's Patrol
The Vista Sheriff's Senior Volunteer Patrol Volunteer Opportunities or call 760.940.4434 for the Vista Senior Program.
Captain: Chuck Cinnamo
- Vista Patrol Station non-emergency 760.940.4551
- West Office Substation 1477 Moon Road 760.806.5352
- Vista Village Storefront: 30 Main Street, Suite G130 760.414.3360