Gloria E. McClellan Senior Center Serving Seniors Since 1974
Brengle Terrace Park | 1400 Vale Terrace Drive, Vista CA 92084 (760) 639-6160
Drop-in hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm. Stop by the center for your personal tour!
- Vista Senior Voice-June 2013 Newsletter
- June 2013 Activities Calendar
- June 2013 Lunch Menu
- June 2013 Home Meals Menu
Be sure to join us this month for the many activities, programs, and classes offered at the senior center. Check the Vista Senior Voice so you don't miss a single event, class or activity.
One Stop Shopping: We're here to serve you… The Gloria E. McClellan Senior Center located in Brengle Terrace Park offers “one stop shopping” for area seniors. The mission of the center is to promote the physical, emotional and social well-being of seniors and to involve them in all aspects of community life.
The center includes classroom space, an auditorium, a game room, a dining room, and social service office space. Senior Center programs include Vista 's popular senior trip program, Culture Caravan, the Out & About Vista transportation program, Project Care, and more.
The gift of longer life means more time to travel, time to learn new skills, or even the opportunity to look into new careers or to give something back to the community. Living longer can also lead to greater vulnerability in later years. The center serves as a valuable resource to meet these needs, too. The multipurpose senior center is the ‘main entrance' to a wonderful array of services, classes and activities. Whether you need to access information, locate services, need transportation, would love a great meal, or would like to volunteer, the center has it all. You can enjoy entertainment or socialize, take an exercise class or take a day trip.
The center has regularly scheduled activities and services, and provides a meeting place for classes and a variety of senior organizations.
The center provides a transportation service for senior and disabled Vista residents. Door-to-door transportation, also known as Out & About Vista, is available to local shopping centers, grocery stores, banks, and evening theatrical excursions. Transportation is also provided to and from the center.
The Senior Nutrition Program has monthly special events sponsored in part by the Senior Nutrition Advisory Committee. These include Oktoberfest, a Thanksgiving feast, and a Christmas holiday and New Year’s celebration. Live entertainment is also provided most days during lunch in our Park Terrace Café.
The Vista Senior Commission is an advisory board offering input to the City Council on issues pertaining to seniors. The monthly meetings are open to the public and the commission welcomes your involvement.
Social Services Offered at the Center
- Hearing Screenings
- Home-Delivered Meals
- Transportation - Out & About Vista
- Legal Aid
- Nutrition Program
- Parkinsons Support Group
Activities & Club Meetings at the Center
- Aerobic Exercises
- Line Dancing
- Drop-In Cards
- Friendship Group
- Garden Club
- Monthly Movie
- Positively Fit Exercise
- Stretch Exercise
Classes and Senior Organization Meetings
- AARP Driver Refresher Course
- Computer Classes
- Knitting Circle
- Senior Commission Meeting
- Senior Nutrition Advisory Committee
- Spanish Classes
Directions to the Center
To get to the center from Interstate 78, take the Civic Center Drive exit and turn north on Civic Center Drive. Follow Civic Center Drive to East Vista Way and make a right. Turn right on Vale Terrace Drive; the center is located at the second entrance to Brengle Terrace Park. For information or to receive a copy of the monthly newsletter, activity schedule, and/or menus, call (760) 639-6160.
Senior Nutrition Program
The center offers a nutritious afternoon meal, entertainment and fellowship Monday through Friday. For seniors (age 60 and over), a hot meal or your choice of soup and salad is offered for a suggested contribution of $4.00. No eligible person shall be denied a meal because of failure or inability to contribute. For those under 60 years of age (must be accompanied by a senior), your meal is still affordable for a $6.00 charge. Meals are served between 11:30 a.m.and 12:30 p.m. with the exception of buffet and luncheon days, as well as Bingo for Prizes days, when lunch is served at 12 noon. Reservations are requested by calling (760) 724-3362 the day before or the morning of the day you would like to come. Transportation to and from the center is also available for Vista residents (60+) who no longer drive and a contribution of $1.00 roundtrip is suggested for this service. For more information about the nutrition and transportation program, call (760) 639-6160.
Home-Delivered Meal Program
We offer home-delivered meal service to Vista residents who are over 60 years of age with an illness or disability and/or homebound. A nutritious, hot meal or your choice of salad is delivered Monday through Friday, with frozen meals also offered for the weekend. A contribution of $4.50 is suggested for each meal. No eligible person shall be denied a meal because of failure or inability to contribute. If you would like to receive home-delivered meals, call Leisa at (760) 639-6162.
Our volunteer team consists of a vibrant and caring group of individuals from a variety of cultures and ranging in ages from 15-99 and more! Click here for more information.
Project Care is a community effort to enable frail, ill, or disabled persons to remain in their home and feel safe. It recognizes that what older and disabled adults value most is their independence. Project Care provides them with a safety net allowing them to feel a part of their community. Each year family, neighbors, postal, and utility workers discover a person who had died, or who is gravely ill and had been in that condition for days or even weeks with no one noticing or helping. Project Care, Vista, is a non-profit organization formed in 1975 for the betterment of life for older adults living in North San Diego County, and provides a wide variety of programs and services that help older and disabled persons remain safe and healthy in their own homes. Project Care is the effort of an entire community to allow those who are vulnerable to live with more dignity, more security, and to know that there are many out there who care. Project Care’s action plan includes postal alerts, daily telephone calls, training of utility and trash collection companies to recognize warning signs, providing the vial of life (medication and medical needs information), minor home repairs, care management, and home safety checks, to name a few. Call (760) 941-0140 for more information.
The McClellan Senior Center has partnered with OASIS, part of a national, non-profit education organization designed to enhance the quality of life for mature adults. This is allowing our senior center to significantly expand its offerings of challenging programs in the arts, humanities, health, and technology. A major part of the effort this fall will be to expand our computer training courses in our newly refurbished computer lab.
In addition to the class fees, there is a $10.00 OASIS enrollment registration charge. This will get you the OASIS catalog detailing other North County educational opportunities. You may register for classes at OASIS, 210 Park Avenue in Escondido, or through the OASIS website at www.oasisnet.org. Click sign up now, and search for classes after you set up an account. We can also help you sign up using the senior center’s computers in the lab.
OASIS catalogs and registration forms are available at the senior center. You may call to register for classes at (760) 796-6020 or register online at www.oasisnet.org/Escondido.
June highlights a benefit held for Senior Center Program Coordinator, Leisa Carosella Bustanoby. Click here for the pictures.
PREFERRED RESOURCES ONLINE
Thank you to the following "Preferred Resource Gallery" sponsors for supporting Vista's Senior Center:
- AAREAU Corporation/Computerized Motor Quadricycles - (760) 277-5977 - www.camoqu.com
- Affirmative Home Care - (760) 424-2400 - www.affirmativehomecareinc.com
- Alta Vista Manor - (760) 522-2008 - www.altavistamanor.net
- Always Best Care Senior Services - (760) 522-1171 - www.alwaysbestcaresandiego.com
- Anna's Referral Service - (760) 522-2008 - www.altavistamanor.net
- Anne's Place - (760) 522-1989
- Arcadia Place - (760) 945-5555 - www.arcadiaplace.com
- Assisted Transition North County - (760) 494-7800 - www.assistedtransition.com/northcounty
- Brightstar Life Care - (760) 494-1124 - www.brightstarcare.com
- Greater Tri-Cities IPA Medical Group (888) 988-8072 - www.sbhis.net
- GSA Mobility Solutions - (760) 621-0501 - www.gsamobilitysolutions.com
- Hart's Place - (760) 598-9066 - www.hartsplace.com
- Home Instead Senior Care - (760) 639-6472- www.homeinstead.com
- Honoring Life's Passages - (760) 458-7133 - www.honoringlifespassage.com
- Household Guardians - (858) 224-2299 - www.householdguardians.com
- Humana - (619) 991-4875 - www.humana.com
- Oak Hill Residential - (760) 743-8843 - www.oakhillresidential.org
- Rancho Vista Retirement Community - (760) 941-1480 - www.seniorcare-corp.com
- Reliable Home Help Personnel Service, Inc. (760) 941-3090 - www.reliablehomenurses.com
- Right At Home - (760) 690-1147 - www.rahnc.com
- Redwood Terrace - (760) 747-7751 - www.betheredwoods.org
- SCAN Health Plan - (760) 835-9544 - email email@example.com
- Senior Helpers - (760) 717-2992 - www.seniorhelpers.com/carlsbad
- Senior-Options Referral - (760) 415-7964 - www.senior-options.com
- United Health Care - (760) 814-0270
- Visiting Angels of North County - (760) 736-9934 - www.vangelsnc.com
- Westmont Town Court - (760) 737-5110 - www.seniorlivingescondido.com